Sunday, March 28, 2010

Social Derive

Normally when I don’t want to do something with someone I just pretend the text didn’t go through — one thing these phones are great for — or didn’t check facebook or something equally vague and transparent, but which precludes much confrontation.

BUT. In the efforts of breaking out of habit/routines I agreed to do something with a sort-of friend, but last minute and with time constrictions. Baby steps.

He had to babysit a friend’s dog, so we planned on taking it for a walk. As it turns out it wasn’t a dog. It was The Cutest puppy in the world, not quite 3 months old. And we ended up finding an amaaaaaazing park with flowers and trees and I suppose that’s a given but there was also a waterfall! And grass that you could sit on with no overly protective French guard to yell at you, and there’s a pretty big hill that you can walk up and look down at some big buildings. I can’t remember the name but it’s near metro Laumier on line 5, for anyone else who misses sittable grass.

Right so we walked around and the park was beautiful and wonderful and my sort-of friend became an actual friend! Success! And then as we were leaving it started to hail!!! Which was also really spectacular and I’m not entirely sure why, but that doesn’t matter so much as the fact that I wouldn’t’ve seen such marvels in my comfort zone.

I’ve been searching for grass to sit on for an unreasonable amount of time, kind of makes me wonder what other things I haven’t found (not just in Paris but in general) because I’ve been content with what I’d already found.


On the same token I think it’s more difficult to discover things when you’re looking for them. It seems a bit backwards to plan on discovering something, that’s not really discovery so much as… I don’t know. Recovery? Because you already knew about it, it’s not something new that you wouldn’t otherwise have had in your life. So hooray for discovery. And recovery too. I think just being active and engaged in the world around you on whatever level deserves some respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment